I love the the spicy and nutty taste of cardamom and pistachio together. Adding in a bit of shredded coconut to that pairing introduces a subtle rich flavor and interesting texture, which is perfect for applying to breakfast and dessert dishes. Here I’ve created tiny and tasty macaroons using this flavor combination, which perfectly complimented their light and airy quality. These smell amazing coming out of the oven, and taste heavenly once cooled and set.
CARDAMOM-PISTACHIO COCONUT MACAROONS
Yield 12-14 macaroons
- 1 cup flax or almond milk
- 2 TB flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup raw pistachios, ground into a fine powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat your over to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the flour and Ener-G into the cold vegan milk until well-blended. Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and warm over over medium heat. Add in coconut oil, sugar and salt. Whisk for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Add in the ground pistachios and cardamom and stir. Add in one cup of the coconut and stir, then add in the other cup and stir until well-blended. Remove from the heat.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes, ensuring that the bottoms are browned, but not burnt. Transfer to a cooling rack to set. These taste best once cooled down completely.