- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4–1/2 cups dried shiitake mushroom caps, broken into pieces
- 8 ounces fresh baby portobella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2–3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 TB vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place the shiitake mushroom pieces into the boiling water and stir to ensure all pieces are moistened. Set aside.
- Place the quartered fresh mushrooms and shallots into a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Heat the two tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Place the thyme sprigs and smashed garlic into the oil for about 5 minutes, stirring to prevent any browning. Remove the thyme sprigs from the oil and then add the flavored oil and smashed garlic into the food processor, using a rubber spatula. Pulse a few times more.
- Return the small saucepan to the stove and add in the walnuts. Over medium heat, toast for about 2-3 minutes, or until you can smell them. Add them to the food processor, along with the dried shiitake mushrooms, straining out any of the remaining liquid.
- Add in the vegan cream cheese and salt. Enjoy with toasted baguette slices or crackers. Spread on toast for a perfect light breakfast.