HOMEMADE BAGELS WITH TOFUTTI, CAPERS AND CARAMELIZED SHALLOTS
Yield 5 bagels
- 1 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 TB sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 ounces hot water
- 3/4 TB raw agave nectar
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mixer (using the flat beater attachment) and stir until blended. Slowly add in the hot water while the blade is still moving and continue mixing until the dough gathers around it. Remove the dough from the blade, form into a ball and place in a slightly oil bowl. Cover with saran wrap and let it sit for about an hour.
- Separate the dough into four small balls. Slightly flatten them out and poke a hole in the middle with your finger, then set them on a lightly greased plate.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Fill a large pot about halfway with water over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, add in the agave. Using a skimmer, slowly lower the bagels in to the boiling water and boil for about 45 seconds, flipping it over and boiling for about 45 seconds more.
- Remove from bagels from the pot onto a kitchen towel and gently pat them dry. Arrange them onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until they are golden brown on the bottom.
- Flip them over and bake for about 5-7 minutes more.
Recipe by Olives for Dinner at https://olivesfordinner.com/2011/10/homemade-bagels-with-toffuti-capers-and.html