Kumquats are an intensely sour and delicious winter fruit. They can be eaten in their raw form, but also pair well with other components containing a good amount of fat, which helps balance out the acidity level. Here I’ve pulverized raw kumquats—skin, insides, seeds and all—and blended with some fresh basil and a rich vegan cream cheese to create a tart filling that is subtly sour, slightly savory and decadently rich.
BASIL, KUMQUAT AND BLUEBERRY CANAPÉS
Yield 4 servings
- 10-15 firm kumquats, halved
- 2 ounces Tofutti cream cheese
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 2 TB fresh basil, finely chopped
- dash of salt
- one package of frozen phyllo cups (usually vegan, but double-check the label)
- handful of fresh blueberries
- Place the kumquats into a food processor or blender, and pulverize. Add in the next four ingredients and blend again until well combined. Place in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Prepare the phyllo cups according to the directions on the box, and let cool completely.
- Fill with the kumquat mixture and top with a fresh blueberry.