DEEP-FRIED VEGAN RICOTTA PUFFS
Yield 4 servings
- One can of full-fat, good-quality coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp coconut vinegar
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 5 tsp agar flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 TB chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Ener-G, whisked with 5 TB water
- oil for frying
- marinara sauce, for serving
- Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk until well-emulsified. Add in the vinegar, salt and agar and whisk continuously for five minutes. Increase the heat to medium and continue to whisk for five minutes more.
- By this time, it should be coming to a small boil. Continue to whisk at a small boil for about two minutes more and then remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow glass pyrex dish, cover with saran wrap, and place in the refrigerator overnight to gel.
- Scrape the gelled mixture into a food processor and blend until it resembles a ricotta texture. Roll into golfball sized balls and place back into the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to fry, combine the flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, place the Ener-G/water mixture.
- Heat plenty of oil in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Test the oil’s readiness by inserting a wooden spoon into it—if bubbles form around the spoon immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Dip the ricotta into the Ener-G mixture, then coat with the flour mixture. Slowly slide it into the oil and fry for about a minute and a half, in batches of two or three pieces.
- Remove and place on paper towels to drain. Serve immediately with the marinara sauce.
Recipe by Olives for Dinner at https://olivesfordinner.com/2012/02/molecular-vegan-deep-fried-ricotta.html