SPICED TARO ROOT WONTONS WITH SALTED COCONUT CREAM
Yield 2-4 servings
for the filling
- 1/2 cup taro root, cubed
- 1/4 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 TB raw agave syrup
- 2 TB unsweetened shredded coconut
- vegan wonton wrappers
for the topping
- 1 TB large crystal sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
for the cream
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Place some water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Place the cubed taro root in the water and boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Drain and place into a small bowl, and mash the taro with a strong fork.
- Add in the spice, agave and coconut and combine well. Set aside and allow to slightly cool.
- Assemble your wontons.
- Place plenty of oil into a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. After about 7 minutes, insert a wooden spoon into the oil so it touches the bottom of the pan. If bubbles form around the spoon immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Working in batches, place one to two wontons into the pan at a time and fry until golden brown, no more than two minutes. Flip them over halfway through the fry time to ensure all parts get crisped.
- Remove them from the oil with tongs and place on paper towels. Sprinkle immediately with the large crystal salt and cinnamon mixture, while the oil is still wet.
- Serve immediately with the salted coconut cream on the side.
Recipe by Olives for Dinner at https://olivesfordinner.com/2012/06/spiced-taro-root-wontons-with-salted.html