- One 13.66 oz. can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp agar powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of The Vegg
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 1/2 TB water
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- extra superfine sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine the coconut milk, vanilla and agar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until it just starts to slightly boil, then dial the heat back to the lowest setting.
- I used a Kitchen Aid mixer on its highest setting, but you can also use a blender to combine The Vegg powder with the water until well combined, about 15 seconds. Do not mix by hand or it will not work correctly. Then add in the sugar and blend again.
- Pour The Vegg mixture into the saucepan through a fine-mesh strainer. Whisk vigorously to combine. Keep over the heat for a minute or two so the sugar can dissolve. Turn off the heat and remove the mixture from the burner.
- Create a water bath by placing two ramekins in a glass pyrex dish. Pour the mixture into the ramekins, then pour water into the glass pyrex dish until it comes up to about half the height of your ramekins.
- Place it into the oven, ensuring that none of the water spills over into the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the water bath as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
- Cover the ramekins with saran wrap, making sure it does not come into contact with the mixture. Place in the refrigerator to set overnight.
- When you are ready to serve the creme brulee, sprinkle about a tablespoon of the superfine sugar over the top. Using a butane torch, sweep the flame over the top until a golden caramel color is achieved. Serve immediately.