for the sauce
- 1 cup boiling water
- 5 TB sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
optional components to add once the sauce has cooled
- fresh cilantro
- sliced hot chili peppers
- chopped scalllions
- white and black sesame seeds
- crushed peanuts
- sliced shallots
- minced garlic
for the tofu
- One block of firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tsps Ener-G egg replacer, whisked with 5 TB warm water
- 1/2–3/4 cup cornstarch
- plenty of vegetable oil for frying
- Place one cup of water in a measuring cup. Microwave until a small boil is achieved. Add in the sugar and salt, then whisk until fully dissolved. Add in the vinegar, whisk again, then place into the refrigerator to cool.
- Once cooled, distribute the sauce into small glass bowls and garnish as desired.
- To make the tofu, cut the tofu block in half, then cut an X into those squares to produce eight small triangles.
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the oil (enough to submerge the triangles in) over medium-high heat. After about 7 minutes, test the oil’s readiness by inserting a wooden spoon into the pot—if bubbles immediately form around the spoon, the oil is ready.
- Dip the tofu triangles into the Ener-G mixture, and then coat it in some of the cornstarch, making sure all sides are covered and tapping off any excess. Place the triangles, two at a time, into the oil and fry until golden, about 4 minutes. Carefully remove from the pot and place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately with the sauce.