BALSAMIC ROASTED FIGS AND SHALLOTS WITH HERBED SOCCA
Yield 2 servings
for the socca
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup water
- a few dashes of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 TB olive oil
for the skillet
- 1 TB olive oil
- 4-5 shallots, skinned and halved
- 8-10 fresh figs, halved
- a handful of walnut halves
- 1-2 TB balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
To make the socca
- Whisk together all of the socca ingredients and one tablespoon of olive oil in a small bowl. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Place a small cast-iron skillet in the oven during the preheating time. Remove it, and place the remaining tablespoon of olive oil into the pan. Tilt the skillet to ensure coverage, then pour the batter into the skillet. Tilt it to ensure the batter is evenly coated in the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the socca by flipping it onto a plate. Set aside.
- Place one tablespoon of olive oil back into the skillet. Throw in the halved shallots and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, then flip them over and roast for an additional 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Now place the halved figs and walnuts into the skillet, and drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the top. Stir gently to combine. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes. During the last 3 minutes of roast time, throw in a few sprigs of fresh thyme of top.
- Serve straight out of the skillet with the herbed socca.
Recipe by Olives for Dinner at https://olivesfordinner.com/2012/10/balsamic-roasted-figs-and-shallots-wi.html