for the pancakes
- olive oil
- 2 medium-sized russet potatoes
- 1 TB all-purpose flour
- 1 TB chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- a few dashes of fresh cracked pepper
- 2 TB prepared horseradish
- 1/2 tsp Ener-G, whisked with 2 TB cold water
for the apple salad
- 1 MacIntosh apple, finely diced
- a few dashes of raw coconut vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp raw agave syrup
- pinch of dried ground ginger
- 3/4 cup Tofutti sour cream
- 4 TB chopped fresh dill
- 2–3 shallots, finely sliced
- Peel, then grate the potatoes on a box grater. Place the shredded potatoes into a sieve, rinse until the water runs clear, then place into a thin dishtowel or cheesecloth and squeeze them as hard as possible to remove all of the moisture. Place into a large bowl.
- Place the rest of the pancake ingredients into a separate small bowl, and whisk until well combined. Pour the mixture into the potatoes, and combine well.
- Combine the apples, vinegar, agave and ground ginger together and stir to combine. Place into the refrigerator to chill.
- Combine the vegan sour cream and dill together into a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a small pan, combine the sliced shallots with a little olive oil. Place over low heat to slowly caramelize while you prepare your pancakes.
- Place a few tablespoons of oil into a large pan over medium heat. Place a golfball-sized amount into your hands, roll into a ball, then flatten as much as possible. Place into the hot oil until golden brown (about 4 minutes), then flip and brown the other side. Drain on paper towels while you finish the rest of the pancakes.
- Serve immediately with the dill cream, raw apples and caramelized shallots.