SPICY VEGAN SCALLOP ROLL
Yield 4 rolls
- 3/4 cup sushi rice, soaked for 30 minutes in cold water
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 TB rice vinegar
- 1 TB sugar
- 1/2 TB salt
- plenty of oil for frying
- 4 straight, medium-sized king oyster mushroom stems, soaked in warm water for about an hour
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G, whisked with 5 TB cold water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 toasted nori sheets
- sesame seeds
- 4 TB Vegenaise mixed with 1 tsp to 1 TB sriracha, to taste
- soy sauce
optional, to serve
- After the rice has soaked for 30 minutes, rinse thoroughly under fresh cold water and place into a rice cooker with the 1 1/2 cups of water. Once the rice is ready, place the rice vinegar, sugar and salt into a large glass bowl and place in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Transfer the cooked rice to the glass bowl and stir well. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. After 7 minutes, throw a pinch of cornstarch into it. If it sizzles immediately, you are ready to fry. Place the mushroom stems into the Ener-G/water mixture, then roll them in the panko/cornstarch mixture until well coated. Tap off any excess. Fry each piece separately for about 2 minutes and place on paper towels to drain and cool.
- Roll your sushi, spooning some of the sriracha-Vegenaise dressing in a straight line next to the mushroom. Serve with soy sauce and garnish with vegan caviar and pea shoots or sprouts, if desired.
Recipe by Olives for Dinner at https://olivesfordinner.com/2013/01/spicy-vegan-scallop-ro.html