- Jamie Oliver’s Pizza Dough Recipe (I halved this recipe, which still produced 4 large calzones)
- olive oil, for sauteing
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 10 oz bella mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 vegan sausages, sliced thinly
- 8–10 oil-cured olives, pitted and sliced
- 1–2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- homemade mozzarella cheese (I halved this recipe)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Place a pizza stone into the oven on the lowest rack. Allow to preheat at 500 while you prepare the other ingredients and roll out the dough.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil over medium low heat in a saute pan. Add in the shallots and allow to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and place into a small bowl.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and add in the mushrooms. Allow to soften for 6-8 minutes, then add in the garlic and saute for about a minute more. Transfer to another small bowl.
- If needed, re-oil the pan and add in the sausages. Saute until slightly browned, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Separate the dough into flour equal pieces. On a floured surface, roll them out to form circles with a 8- to 10-inch diameter. They don’t need to be perfect.
- Fill one side of each of the calzones with all of the components. Fold the dough over the top, and pinch the sides together to form a seal.
- Once the pizza stone has preheated at 500 for about 30 minutes, place the calzones on it (I did two separate batches). Brush with a generous amount of olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes, checking the bottoms to ensure they do not burn.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve.