- 20 oz. can of young green jackfruit, in brine or water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1, 8 oz. tub of Tofutti brand non-hydrogenated cream cheese (softened at room temperature for about an hour before using)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- square vegan wonton wrappers (or make your own)
- canola or grapeseed oil
- prepared Thai chili sauce (or make your own)
- chopped scallions
- black and white sesame seeds
- Drain the jackfruit and place into a crockpot with the broth, ensuring all pieces are covered with the liquid, adding a bit more broth if needed. Cook the jackfruit for 2-3 hours on the highest setting.
- Remove the jackfruit from the broth (you can reserve the broth for using later), and shred it up as finely as possible with a fork and knife. It should be really soft and almost fall apart. Discard any seeds or tough pieces. Measure out 1 cup of the shredded jackfruit and place it into a bowl. (Use any leftover jackfruit to make this salad or other jackfruit recipes.)
- Add in the scallion and sesame oil, and mix to combine. Then, add in the softened vegan cream cheese and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- To deep fry them, place several inches of canola or grapeseed oil into a small saucepan. To prepare them for frying, place a teaspoon of the filling in the center of the wonton, then fold them. I folded them by dabbing water at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock, then folded 12 and 6 o’clock up like a taco, then pushed in the sides at 3 and 9 o’clock, pinching them well to form a seal.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes. Throw a pinch of the filling into the oil. If it sizzle immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Slowly drop 2 of the wontons into the hot oil until golden brown (it should only take 45 seconds or so). Transfer to a paper towel to drain, and repeat until all of the wontons are fried.
- To bake them, preheat your oven to 425. Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of a wonton. Run a bit of water with your finger around all of the edges, then fold it over to create a triangle. Place them onto a well-oiled baking sheet. Bake for about 7 minutes on one side (or until golden brown), flip, then bake the other side for an additional 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with the homemade or prepared Thai chili sauce.
- Cook Time: 45 minutes