- 1 TB toasted sesame oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6–8 shiitake caps, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups broth (homemade or Imagine brand
- small can of coconut milk (5.46 ounces)
- juice from half of a lime
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced into halves
- tofu cubes (cut into dice-sized pieces)
- thai chilis or sriracha, to taste
- Heat the sesame oil over medium low heat, then throw in the shallots. Allow them to soften for a minute or two, then gently stab the slices with chopsticks or a spatula to break them up. Throw in the shiitake caps, stir, and allow to soften for two minutes. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top, then stir again to combine.
- Increase the heat to medium, then throw in the chopped scallions and broth. Stir, then allow to come to a small simmer. Allow it to simmer for about two minutes, then remove it from the heat and stir in the coconut milk, lime juice and tomatoes.
- Serve immediately with a few tofu cubes thrown in if you like. Garnish with hot peppers or sriracha and cilantro, if desired.