for the risotto
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups prepared or homemade vegetable broth
- 1 TB Earth Balance
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry cooking wine
- 1/3 cup basic cashew cream
for the shiitake topping
- 1 TB olive oil
- 6–8 shiitake caps, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 TB dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place the vegetable both in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once it begins to simmer, reduce the heat to low.
- In a large flat-bottomed pan, melt the vegan butter over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and stir to coat, allowing to soften for 2-3 minutes. Add in the rice and stir to combine for about 2 minutes. Add in the cooking wine, then stir for two minutes more.
- Add one cup of the hot broth to the rice, and stir well. Keep stirring until all of the broth has been absorbed by the rice. Repeat this process by continuing to add broth, a 1/2 cup at a time, until the rice is al dente, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cashew cream.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 TB of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the sliced shiitake caps and stir to coat, then sprinkle the dried thyme over the top and stir again. After 4 minutes, add 2 TB of dry white wine to the pan, and allow to sizzle and slightly reduce. Add in the fresh chopped parsley and stir until it’s vibrantly green (about a minute).
- Spoon the risotto into two serving bowls, topping with the shiitake. Serve immediately.