for the eggplant
- 4–6 Thai eggplants, quartered and seeds removed
- 1 TB vegetable or canola oil
- 1 shallot, halved and sliced thinly lengthwise
for the sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 TB soy sauce
- 1 TB sesame oil
- 1 TB raw agave syrup
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, chopped
- handful of fresh cherry tomatoes
- a few basil leaves
- 1/2 lime, sliced
- 1/8 cup chopped peanuts
- 1 scallion, sliced
- a few pinches of black and white sesame seeds
- rice or noodles
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- Place the oil into the bottom of a cast iron skillet, tilting to coat. Add the eggplant and cover with foil.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then remove them from the oven and flip over. Sprinkle the sliced shallots over the top, then cover with the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Pour about half of the sauce over the top and roast, uncovered for about 10 minutes more.
- Place the eggplant into serving bowls over rice or noodles and garnish with fresh tomato, basil, lime wedges, peanuts, scallions, sesame seeds, rice or noodles and extra sauce on the side as desired.