From Everyday Vegan Eats: Family Favorites from My Kitchen to Yours by Zsu Dever. Copyright ©2014 by Zsu Dever. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.
Your protein of choice – Soy Curls, tofu, or TVP – is right at home in this easy-to-make sandwich filling. You can take a step back in time to the eighties and stuff it into a tomato or just add it to a bed of crisp green salad. Of course, it’s also fantastic between two slices of bread or served in lettuce cups.
- 4 cups coarsely chopped tender soy curls, marinated tofu, or savory tvp, cooled thoroughly
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices toasted bread, gluten free bread, or butter lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine your protein of choice with the celery, onion, bell pepper, mayonnaise, relish, and salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside for 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Make sandwiches with the mixture, using either toasted bread or lettuce cups.