for the gochujang queso
- 1 recipe vegan queso dip
- 1/4 cup gochuchang
for the quesadillas (also tastes great with tortilla chips)
- 3–4 cups cubes sweet potato
- 1 cup kidney or black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tsp olive or canola oil
- 2 shallots, sliced into thin rings
- 4 large soft tortillas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup crushed peanuts
- 1–2 scallions, chopped
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- lime wedges, optional
- vegan sour cream, optional
First, prepare the vegan queso (recipe here).
- If you like spicy, add in 1/4 cup of the gochujang and add more as desired, whisking until smooth. If you are not sure, start by adding one tablespoon, adding more as desired. Cover and set aside or place into a small crockpot to keep warm.
To prepare the quesadillas
- Place the cubed sweet potato into a steamer basket. Add a few inches of water into the bottom. Cover and steam over medium-high heat until soft, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the kidney beans and corn into a skillet and give them a little saute over medium heat until warm, then transfer to a bowl. Add the oil to the same pan and throw in the shallots. Saute until golden and slightly crispy, then remove from the heat. You can just leave them in the pan.
- Mash the sweet potato. Lay two soft tortillas onto two plates, and distribute the sweet potato evenly over the top. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, then sprinkle the crushed peanuts over the top. Next, add the kidney beans and corn, then the crispy shallots, scallions, cilantro and tomato.
- Place the remaining two tortillas over the tops, press down slightly, then cut each into four pieces using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Serve immediately with the gochujang queso and, if desired, the vegan sour cream and lime wedges.