for the sauce
- 1 TB toasted sesame oil
- 1 TB finely minced ginger
- 1–2 tsp red curry paste
- (I used Thai Kitchen brand—some pastes contain fish, so be sure to read the label)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, any dirty layers removed, then bruised and chopped into 2–3 pieces
- 1 can (13.66 fl. oz.) full-fat coconut milk
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 5 large basil leaves, cut chiffonade
for the protein
for the vegetables
- green beans
- baby corn and/or
- whatever you have on hand, etc.
to serve (optional)
- noodles or rice
- crushed peanuts
- lime wedges
To make the sauce
- Warm the toasted sesame oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat. Add in the minced ginger and allow to soften for 1-2 minutes, adding a little more sesame oil if it starts to stick. Add in the curry paste and stir until it liquefies. Add in the lemongrass pieces, stir again, then pour in the coconut milk. Add in the soy sauce, brown sugar and fresh basil, stir, then increase the heat to medium. Once it comes to a small simmer, turn off the heat and give it a stir, but leave it on the burner.
- Prepare whatever vegan protein you’d like in any way you choose, drizzling a little of the warm sauce over it towards the end. Stir fry the vegetables separately.
- Distribute rice or noodles into bowls if desired. Top with the vegetables, vegan protein and drizzle with extra sauce to taste.