Recipe from The Abundance Diet, © 2015 by Somer McCowan. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press LLC.
I call this “a salad for the kale haters” because my husband, who isn’t fond of kale, asked for seconds on this incredibly lush and dreamy salad.
Creamy Chili Lime Dressing:
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces (soaked for 4 to 6 hours)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more (depending on your heat preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Rainbow Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch (16 ounces) lacinato or dinosaur kale, tough stems removed, then cut into 1/4-inch shreds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 head small purple cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch ribbons
- 1/2 cup red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice or thinly sliced rings
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin 2-inch long matchsticks
- 1 large ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small jicama, cut into 2-inch long matchsticks
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- In a high-speed blender or a food processor, combine the red bell pepper, garlic, cashews, tamari, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the kale and the cilantro to a large salad bowl and pour on the dressing. Toss until all the kale is thoroughly coated, then massage the kale with your hands for 1 to 2 minutes. (Massaging kale makes it taste better!) Divide the kale salad among four large plates and top with the purple cabbage, red onion, carrot, avocado, and jicama. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and serve with lime wedges, if desired.