- One large russet potato, peeled and rinsed
- 1 TB water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Ener-G egg replacer
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 scallions, chopped
- a few dashes of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Daiya shreds, cheddar-style
- 2–3 TB chopped vegan bacon (I used the seitan slab o’bacon recipe here, but Sweet Earth brand, or vegan sausage (like Field Roast) would probably work too)
- vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti brand)
- cooking spray
- sriracha, to serve
- extra chopped scallions, to serve
- Peel and grate the potato on a box grater. Fill a medium-sized bowl with cold water, then add the shredded potato to it. Allow it to sit in the cold water for a few minutes, then swirl it around with your hand to remove some of the starch. Transfer the shreds to a sieve by scooping them out with your hands, then rinse very well under cold water until it runs clear. Then, transfer the shreds to the center of a tea towel, twist the top, and wring out as much water as you can until the shreds are crumbly and bone dry. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- To make the hashbrown mixture, whisk together the water, oil, egg replacer and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. Drizzle over the potatoes and toss to coat. Add in the chopped scallions, salt and pepper, vegan cheese and bacon.
- Once your waffle iron is ready, spray it with a generous coating of cooking spray, then distribute the potato mixture evenly over the top. Gently close the lid and press the top and bottom together to compress the mixture.
- Allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately with the vegan sour cream, sriracha and chopped scallions.