for the vegan sausage filling
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 cup minced shallots
- 2–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Field Roast sausages, Italian-style, ground in a food processor
for the pasta dough
- one Rouxbe eggless pasta dough recipe (I used about half for this recipe and froze the other half)
for the mushroom-basil sauce*
- 1 TB olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1/8 cup broth or wine
- 1 cup of full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Kite Hill ricotta
- 1 cup chopped basil, packed
- extra fresh-torn basil
- toasted walnuts
- crumbled Kite Hill ricotta
- fresh cracked pepper
To make the filling
- Warm the oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add in the shallots and allow to soften for a few minutes. Add in the garlic, stir and soften for about a minute more.
- Next, add in the crumbled vegan sausage and saute until slightly browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely before using.
- Once the dough is made, follow these steps to make the ravioli using a Norpro ravioli maker. Freeze until ready to use.
When ready to serve
- Remove the desired amount of frozen ravioli from the freezer. I lay them out flat on a silpat so they won’t stick while defrosting. Defrost for 45 minutes, or until just soft.
To make the mushroom-basil sauce*
- Warm the oil over medium-low heat in a small dutch oven. Add in the shallots and soften for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and soften for about 2 minutes, then add the chopped crimini to the pan. Allow the mushrooms to soften and collapse for about 8 minutes, adding the 1/8 cup wine or broth if they start to stick.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add in the coconut milk, coconut vinegar, salt and vegan ricotta. Once it comes to a small simmer, remove from the heat and throw in the chopped basil.
- Allow to cool, then use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree until smooth. Add it back into the pot and warm over low heat right before serving.
To prepare the ravioli
- Fill a large dutch oven about 3/4 full with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Add some salt to season the water, then slowly drop in the defrosted ravioli, about 6-8 pieces at a time. Boil until the ravioli rises to the top, then wait one additional minute.
- Repeat the process with the desired amount of ravioli, using two pots of water if needed.
- Serve immediately with the warmed mushroom-basil sauce, topping with fresh basil, toasted walnuts and crumbled vegan ricotta, if desired.
*This would also work well with any kind of prepared red sauce.