FOR THE BASE
- 1 can (13.66 oz.) full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 fresh red bell pepper, charred, deseeded and chopped
- 2 TB nutritional yeast
- 2 TB tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon agar powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 jalepeno, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped
- To make the cheese sauce, add all of the base components to a blender, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan over medium heat and stir the mixture occasionally until it starts to come to a small boil. Continue to stir, maintaining the small boil for about 5 minutes more until it’s thick and bubbly. Transfer the mixture to a container and refrigerate for an hour or two to allow the mixture to slightly set up.
- To finish the sauce, warm the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add in the green pepper and cook for a few minutes. Add in the red onion and saute for a few minutes more. Then add in the jalepeno and garlic and saute until softened. Set aside or refrigerate until you are ready to serve it.
- Once ready to serve, warm the cheese sauce, stirring it constantly over medium heat until smooth, then add your vegetables or prepared salsa to it until it’s well combined. Serve warm or in a small crock pot if desired.
- *you can add any combination or quantities you’d like to make the vegan queso chunkier or spicier. Or, you can add a desired amount of prepared salsa (drain it a bit) once the cheese has been cooked and allowed to slightly set.