FOR THE GARLIC
- 2 heads of garlic
- 3 TB olive oil, divided
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 cup shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 24 ounces jar marinara sauce (I like Rao’s Brand)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut chiffonade
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
TO ROAST THE GARLIC
- To roast the garlic, preheat your oven to 400.
- Remove the loose, papery skin around each head, but keep it intact. Trim off the very top of the head to expose the garlic. Drizzle each head with 1 TB of the olive oil.
- Wrap in foil, then place into a glass pyrex and roast for 30-40 minutes. It’s done when the exposed top is golden to deeply golden. Allow to cool completely, then separate the bulbs from the skin. Set aside.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Heat the remaining 1 TB of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add in the shallots and saute until softened and slightly golden.
- Add in the tomatoes and saute until slightly softened, then stir in the marinara sauce. Once warmed, lightly mash half or all of the garlic and add to the sauce.*
- Allow to warm all of the way through, then add in the coconut milk. Once warmed through, remove from the heat and stir in the basil and nutritional yeast.
- Serve with any pasta dish.
- * You can save any leftover garlic by storing it in the refrigerator and using within a week.
Ravioli, Calzones and Lasagna, oh my! More dishes to top off with this sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes