- 8 –10 oz. dried spaghetti
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 TB olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced king oyster mushrooms, soaked in warm water for about 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups sliced shallots
- 4 –6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2 TB vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 TB fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- First, cook the pasta according to the package instructions, but subtract two minutes from the cook time. You’ll be finishing the pasta in a skillet towards the end of the recipe. Drain and set aside.
- Next, toast your walnuts in a large, flat-bottomed dry skillet over medium heat for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. They are done once they become fragrant. Scrape into a bowl and set aside.
- To cook the vegan scallops, warm 1-2 TB of the olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the scallops in a single layer, wait one minute, then pour the water into the skillet. Cover and allow to steam for a few minutes. Remove the cover and allow most of the water to evaporate and for the rims of the scallops to brown on one side. Flip and brown the other side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat the remaining 1-2 TB of olive oil over medium heat in the same skillet. Throw the sliced shallots into the pan and toss to coat. Allow to soften for about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for about a minute more. Add the tomatoes, vegan butter and salt to the skillet, stir, then cover. Allow the tomatoes to slightly soften, about 3 minutes. Remove the lid and add the wine. Allow it to sizzle and reduce for a few minutes, then add the spaghetti to the pan. Stir to coat.
- To serve, distribute the spaghetti into two bowls. Top with the vegan scallops, toasted walnuts and fresh parsley.