- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, chopped
- 2 large poblanos, seeds removed and chopped
- 4 tomatillos, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo (I used Hampton Creek Just Mayo Brand), plus a little more if needed
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- Warm the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and jalepeno and soften for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take care to make sure it does not brown.
- Add in the poblano, tomatillos, garlic and water, stir, then cover and allow to soften for 12-15 minutes. Take the lid off and continue cooking, until most of the water has been absorbed, but taking care not to let anything in the pot brown.
- Remove from the heat and allow to slightly cool. Transfer to a blender and puree until very smooth. Add in the salt, vegan mayo and cilantro and puree again until very smooth. You’ll want the sauce to be smooth and a little thin.
- Transfer to a container and chill before serving.