Reprinted from Oh She Glows Every Day by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2016, Glo Bakery Corporation. Photograph copyright © 2016 by Sandy Nicholson (headshot photo of Angela). Photograph copyright © 2016 by Angela Liddon (cookbook cover photo).
VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE OPTION, SOY-FREE OPTION, GRAIN-FREE, KID-FRIENDLYMAKES 1 ¼ CUPS (300 ML)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) vegan butter (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) confectioners’ sugar, plus more if needed
- 1 to 3 teaspoons (5 to 15 mL) almond milk, as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) freshly grated nutmeg, or to taste
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- In a large bowl using electric beaters or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter for about 30 seconds until fluffy and smooth.
- Add the sugar, 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Beat again, starting on low speed and covering the bowl or stand mixer with a tea towel, until smooth and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the bowl as necessary. If your buttercream is still too thick, you can thin it with a touch more milk. If it becomes too thin, you can thicken it by beating in more sugar.
Tip: For the vegan butter, I use soy-free Earth Balance buttery spread. You can use whichever vegan butter you prefer, though.
Make it nut-free: Swap the almond milk for a nut-free milk of your choice, such as coconut milk.
Make it soy-free: Use soy-free vegan butter.
For Double Vanilla Buttercream: Add 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) pure vanilla bean powder or two seeded vanilla beans and omit the cinnamon and nutmeg.