Definitely inspired by Veggie Grill’s Koreatown Tacos!
FOR THE GOCHUJANG GLAZE
- 1 TB toasted sesame oil
- 1 TB garlic, finely minced
- 1 TB ginger, finely minced
- 4 TB water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup Gochujang
- 9–10 oz. bag of breaded vegan chick’n nuggets or tenders, prepared according to package instructions
- 15 oz. can of black beans, slightly warmed (I season with a tsp of cumin and add a little veg broth and simmer, but that’s not completely necessary here.)
- 4 large flour tortillas, slightly warmed
- 2 cups mandolined or thinly sliced green cabbage
- 4–6 handfuls fresh arugula
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 2–4 TB finely diced red onion
- any creamy vegan dressing (I used Follow Your Heart brand’s Creamy Garlic Dressing)
TO MAKE YOUR GOCHUJANG GLAZE
- Warm the sesame oil over medium low heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Add in the garlic and ginger and allow to soften for 5-6 minutes. To keep it from browning but to allow it to soften, add a tablespoon of water every 2 minutes or so.
- Add in the brown sugar and stir until liquefied. Add the vinegar and gochujang and stir. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer and reduce for 20 minutes, stirring it as needed to prevent the bottom from burning. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature. It will thicken slightly as it cools.
TO ASSEMBLE THE TACOS
- Toss the vegan chick’n nuggets in the gochujang glaze in small batches. Only do this when you are ready to serve; otherwise, your nuggets will get soggy.
- Place some of the warmed black beans into the center of a warmed flour tortilla. Place cabbage on top, then layer with some of the sauced vegan chick’n nuggets, followed by the arugula, avocado and red onion.
- Top with some of the vegan creamy dressing and serve immediately with any leftover black beans on the side.
(This recipe will make more gochujang glaze than you’ll need for this recipe, but since it’s such a versatile sauce, you’ll find other things to put it on. ?)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes