The “lobster” roll uses hearts of palm as a stand-in for lobster for a cruelty-free and delicious New England favorite!
for the “lobster”
- 2, 14.1-oz. can of hearts of palm, coarsely chopped, rinsed and soaked in cold water for 20 minutes
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 stalk celery, mandolined or finely sliced
- 2 TB minced red onion
- 2 tsp capers
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2–4 TB vegan butter, melted
- 1 TB fresh chives, minced
- 1 TB fresh dill, minced
- lemon wedges
To prepare the “lobster”
- Drain the hearts of palm, taking care not to crush or mush them.
- Combine the next 6 dried spices in a small bowl, then season the drained hearts of palm, tossing to coat evenly.
- Place into an air fryer set at 400 for 10-12 minutes, giving them a shake once or twice and checking them towards the end to ensure they don’t brown.
- If you don’t have an air fryer, preheat your oven to 400 and place the seasoned hearts of palm on a silpat-lined baking sheet for 20-30 minutes. stirring two or three times. They are done when they show the first signs of a slight golden color around the edges. Don’t let them brown all over.
- Transfer the hearts of palm to a bowl and toss gently with the remaining 4 ingredients and place into the refrigerator to chill completely. Or, you can also serve it while still warm.
- When ready to serve, preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Brush both sides of a hot dog bun with the butter and toast face down until it’s nice and golden.
- Spoon the desired amount of hearts of palm into the toasted buns and garnish with the fresh chives and dill. Serve with lemon wedges and an extra sprinkle of salt, if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes