Shrooms, cashew sour cream and pasta … oh my! I’m super excited to be blogging over at Wicked Healthy today … jump on over for more details + the recipe for this delicious and easy-to-make shroom stroganoff!
for the shrooms
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups oyster mushrooms, stems cut away and roughly chopped – reserve ½ cup of mushrooms to use later in the recipe
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems cut away and roughly chopped – reserve ½ cup of mushrooms to use later in the recipe
- 7 oz. maitake mushrooms, about 2 clusters, base sliced off and roughly chopped (reserve 1/4 of the chopped mushrooms to use later in the recipe)
- a few pinches of salt and pepper
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 1/4 cup no-chicken or vegetable broth
for the sauce
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced in half and cut into half-moon shapes
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 4 cups no-chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (5.4 oz.) can of coconut cream
- 1 tsp coconut vinegar – if using apple cider vinegar, only use ½ tsp
- a few pinches of salt
- 1/2 cup of Kelly’s cashew sour cream or any commercially prepared plant-based sour cream if you’re in a rush
- 1 TB vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TB dijon mustard
for the pasta
- 2 servings of eggless pasta, any wide noodle will do
- 1–2 TB plant-based butter (optional)
- 2 TB chives, chopped
- 2 TB parsley, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
To prepare the shrooms
- heat the oil in a large, wide + shallow cast iron or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add in the mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme, and saute for 8-10 minutes or until slightly browned around the edges, stirring occasionally and adding a few splashes of broth to prevent sticking if needed. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
To make the sauce
- return the pot to the stove, reduce the heat to medium, then add in the oil, onion and garlic. Saute for about 5-7 minutes, adding a few splashes of broth to the pot to prevent sticking. Once softened, add in the broth and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in the coconut cream, vinegar and salt and whisk to combine. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cashew sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Transfer the cooked mushrooms into the sauce, stir and remove from the heat.
Prepare the pasta
- according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, you can optionally place the reserved shrooms in small batches in a lightly-oiled cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Place another cast iron pan on top to create a weight and allow to flatten and develop some color on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel and repeat with the remaining mushrooms.
- Once the pasta is done, drain and distribute the noodles between two bowls. Top with the sauce and garnish as desired with the pressed shroom pieces and chopped chives and parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes