for the cauliflower
- one large head of cauliflower
- salt and pepper
for the dry ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 TB onion powder
- 1 TB salt
- 1 TB paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne (optional)
for the wet ingredients
- 1 cup soymilk, with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar whisked in
- 2 TB Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder, blended with 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 2 TB bourbon
- 1 TB hot sauce
for frying and coating
- Spray oil
- at least one cup of prepared buffalo sauce. (You can also make your own by mixing a 1:1 ratio of melted vegan butter with a vinegar-based hot sauce)
- toasted hamburger buns
- cabbage or lettuce
- red onion
- tomato and/or avocado
- vegan bleu cheese dressing
- extra buffalo sauce
to prep the cauliflower
- To cut your cauliflower steaks, place a head of cauliflower stem side down on a cutting board. Using a large knife, slice it down the very middle. Then cut down again on each half to create 3 or 4, 1-inch thick slabs. Chop up the leftover portion of the cauliflower into little, bite-sized florets.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place the cauliflower into the pot, let the boil return, wait about a minute, then transfer the florets to a cookie sheet with a wire rack over it to cool. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Leave out for 30 minutes, or throw into your refrigerator to cool.
to make the breading
- Combine all of the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine all of the wet ingredients into a separate medium-sized bowl.
- Working one piece at a time, coat the steaks and florets evenly in the dry mixture, tapping off any extra and placing it back onto the wire rack.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the wet mixture into the dry mixture and combine with a rubber spatula.
- Working one piece at a time, dunk the steaks and florets into the wet mixture, then pack the moistened flour mixture firmly around it.
- Return the battered cauliflower back onto the wire rack and place into the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
to air fry the cauliflower
- Spray the cauliflower steaks evenly with cooking spray. Place into the air fryer at 400 degrees and cook for 10 minutes, flipping the slabs over halfway through the cooking time. Apply a little more spray over any areas that look dry and cook for an additional minute or two if needed to achieve a deeply golden color all over.
- Place the buffalo sauce into a bowl, then carefully turn the steaks around in the bowl to coat. Place back into the air fryer and fry on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until the edges look crispy.
- Repeat the process with the florets. Air fry time will take less with the florets since they are smaller. Just give them a shake halfway through the cook time, and spray any areas with cooking spray that look dry.
- Serve immediately on toasted hamburger buns or with celery and vegan bleu cheese dressing.
These can be made beforehand and recrisped in the air fryer at 400 at 5-7 minutes per side at 400 degrees for steaks and 6-8 minutes for florets, giving them a shake halfway through cooking time.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes