Crispy on the outside + meaty on the inside: fried oyster mushrooms are perfect for tacos!
for the mushrooms
- 8–10 oz. oyster mushrooms
- 2 TB Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg, whisked with 1 1/2 cup freezing cold water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup AP flour
- 2 cups panko
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 TB onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- canola or grapeseed oil, for frying
for the chipotle + lime sauce
- 1–3 chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- mandolined green + red cabbage
- fresh cilantro
- corn tortillas, warmed
to make the mushrooms
- Set up three large bowls in a row. In the first bowl, whisk together the VeganEgg + freezing cold water. In the second bowl, place the AP flour. In third bowl, the seasoned panko.
- Line a baking sheet with a wire cooling rack.
- Working in small batches, dip the shrooms into the VeganEgg, then the AP flour, back into the VeganEgg, then press into the panko mixture until well-coated. Transfer to the cooling rack until all shrooms are breaded.
- In a medium-sized cast iron or dutch oven, heat several inches of oil over medium-high heat. After about 7 minutes, test the oil for readiness. (It should be between 350 and 375 degrees.) I test for readiness by inserting a chopstick into the oil until it touches the bottom of the pot. If bubbles form around it immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Fry in small batches (overcrowding will reduce the oil temp, resulting in soggy shrooms). Transfer back to the wire rack to cool as you finish frying the rest.
to make the sauce
- Combine the chipotle + lime and vegan mayo. Taste and adjust any flavors as desired. Can be made ahead of time and chilled.
- Warm the tortillas in a cast iron pan or baking sheet at 350 for a couple of minutes. Serve immediately with the mandolined cabbage, shrooms, herbs and sauce.
- VeganEgg wash: I used this brand in this recipe, and did not test out other options. If you try another one with good results, I’d love to know!
- Baking the mushrooms: I deep-fried these mushrooms, and did not test out baking them. If you try baking with good results, I’d love to know!
- The fried mushrooms in this recipe reheat very well in an air fryer for a few minutes at 400.
- Air-frying the mushrooms: I deep-fried the mushrooms in this recipe and did not test out air frying them. If you try that with good results, I’d love to know!