for the chipotle-bacon mayo
- 1 Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage, finely chopped and crisped in a hot pan (see Notes for other options)
- 2–4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1–4 TB chipotles in adobo, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup chipotle fabanaise (I used Sir Kensington’s)
for the Brussels sprouts
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved, completely dry and at room temp
- canola or grapeseed oil, for frying
to make the chipotle-bacon mayo
- Combine all sauce ingredients. Adjust to taste.
to fry the Brussels sprouts
- Place several inches of oil into a heavy pan. I use a small cast-iron pot for this.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. Insert a chopstick into the pot, touching the bottom of the pan. If bubbles form around it immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Place ONE Brussels half, cut-side down, into the oil. If there is any moisture whatsoever in the sprout, the oil will pop and may sprurt a little out of the pan. This should subside after several seconds. Do not place another sprout into the pan until the first one has completely calmed down.
- Check the other Brussels during the fry time. They can be removed and placed back onto the baking sheet to cool. (I placed a cookie cooling rack on top of a baking sheet.)
- Serve with the chipotle-bacon mayo.
- These sprouts can be recrisped in an air fryer for several minutes at 400.
- Other vegan bacon options that can be used are prepared seitan-based, tempeh or mushrooms (see blog post for links).