- 1.5 lbs of tiny whole potatoes
- a little olive oil, to grease the baking sheet
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- salt + pepper
- 1 TB grated garlic – more or less as desired (I used a microplane grater)
- a few TB vegan parm (I used Follow Your Heart brand, but Violife would probably also work)
- vegan sour cream
- one cup vegan bacon – crisped in pan and chopped (I used Sweet Earth brand, but smoky tempeh or shiitake/maitake bacon would work)
- a few TB chopped chives or scallions
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then parboil for about 20 minutes. You’ll want them to be slightly underdone.
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Drain the potatoes and dry very well.
- Place on a slightly greased baking sheet and gently smash with a potato smasher. You don’t want to completely flatten, just press down about halfway.
- Brush the tops of the potatoes with the melted vegan butter, adding a bit more if needed.
- Season the tops with salt and pepper.
- Place into the oven on the lower rack and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each potato with the garlic and vegan parm.
- Place back into the oven on the top rack, and bake for about 10 minutes more.
- Place a dollop of vegan sour cream and put back into the oven to slightly warm.
- Remove from the oven and top each potato with the chopped vegan bacon and chives.
- Serve immediately, with extra toppings on the side if desired.
These reheat well in an air fryer at 400, for about 5 minutes.