A great filling for ravioli! Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag for piping into your ravioli.
for the cultured cashew cheese
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 1–2 probiotic capsules (50–100 billion CFUs)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- a few pinches of salt
- 10 oz. spinach (you can also use frozen spinach that has been completely thawed, but squeeze until bone-dry)
- 1/3 cup vegan parm, very finely chopped or grated
to make the cultured cheese
- Place the soaked and drained cashews into a Vitamix. Add just enough water so it covers the cashews (about one cup).
- Puree until smooth, adding a bit more water to loosen, if needed.
- Transfer the puree to a glass container. Stir in the probiotic powder.
- Cover with one layer of cheesecloth and secure with plastic wrap or a rubber band. Place in a dark, warm area to culture for 24-48 hours.
- Once the desired tanginess is achieved, stir in the garlic and onion powders. Add in the salt.
- Refrigerate until ready to use or use immediately.
to finish the mixture
- If using fresh spinach, place into a pot of salty boiling water and blanch for 30 seconds. Transfer the spinach to a bowl of icy water to cool, squeeze until super dry, then chop very fine.
- Transfer the cashew mixture to a bowl and add the spinach and vegan parm. Stir to combine, then transfer to a piping bag with a wide tip or use a teaspoon-size amount for each ravioli.
Any leftover cheese can be slathered over crusty bread or bagels.
- Prep Time: 24-48 hours, to culture