I loved developing this recipe for vegan bang bang cauliflower. It’s easy to make and delicious! After chopping a head of cauliflower into florets, these are coated in panko then baked, not fried. These cauliflower florets are super crispy and served with a rich and tangy bang bang sauce. The crunch of the breading and the texture of the cauliflower is amazing, creating a perfect little vegan appetizer.
How To Make This Bang Bang Cauliflower Recipe
The magic happens right after these florets emerge crispy from the oven and are drizzled with the bang bang sauce. The first drizzle kind of oozes onto the crispiest parts of the cauliflower. It creates a slightly chewy texture. The sauce ingredients work so well with the succulent cauliflower inside.
The second drizzle floats over the top, giving each bite a creamy and spicy quality. The sliced green onions give it another crisp textural element and the cilantro adds a super clean note. I ate at least eight cups of this stuff in the past couple of days while testing it out! I guess I am kind of a bang bang cauliflower aficionado now. 😀
Using A Vegan Egg Replacement In This Batter
You may be wondering if you can use Aquafaba in place of Ener-G here, and I did. It did not work as well (it wasn’t quite sticky enough), but worth a try if that’s what you’ve got. There’s even more egg replacer ideas here. You can easily make this crispy, creamy, slightly spicy and succulent one-bite dish to eat by itself. Toss it over some rice or tuck it into a taco.
How To Make The Bang Bang Sauce
You can also make your own Sweet Chili sauce with just a few ingredients for an even better, spicier kick. Grab some Follow Your Heart, Just Mayo or Fabanaise brand vegan mayos. They add a super creamy element that is perfect blended with sweet chili sauce.
This vegan bang bang sauce is also great on my vegan shrimp recipe!
For More Cauliflower Ideas, Check out These Recipes!
Get This Recipe In Your Inbox
Share your email, and we’ll deliver it straight to your inbox.
Plus, enjoy new recipes every week as a bonus!
This recipe for bang bang cauliflower is delicious and so easy to make. Cauliflower florets are breaded and baked to crispy perfection and served with a rich, creamy and tangy sauce. This vegan appetizer is great for parties and get-togethers!
for the cauliflower
- 4 cups bite-sized cauliflower florets, rinsed
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 2 TB Ener-G, whisked with 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups panko
- salt and pepper
- spray oil
for the bang bang sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo (I used Follow Your Heart brand)
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 TB sriracha
- juice from half a lime
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- handful of cilantro, finely minced
to prep the cauliflower
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Set up a station with three large bowls. In the first bowl, place the rice flour. In the second, place the Ener-G+water. In the third place the panko mixture.
- Working in batches, place some of the rinsed-and-still-wet cauliflower florets into the first bowl with the rice flour, and use your hands to toss to coat.
- Pick up the cauliflower, shaking off any excess flour and place into the bowl with the vegan egg mixture, and toss to coat. Then place the coated cauliflower into the bowl with the panko and toss well to combine. (The pieces don’t need to be completely covered in panko, but If you find you are having some trouble with getting it to stick, moisten with a little of the vegan egg mixture and press the panko onto the florets with your fingers.)
- Place the cauliflower onto the lined baked sheet in a single layer. Repeat with the rest of the cauliflower pieces, then spray the tops of each with a little oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place into the oven for 15 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden.
- Remove, flip the florets and respray the other side with a little more spray oil. Bake for 10 minutes more, or until golden all over. Do keep an eye on them towards the end of the bake time to prevent burning! (The bake time will vary based on the size of your florets.)
to prep the bang bang sauce
- While your cauliflower is baking, combine all of the bang bang sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Allow the cauliflower to slightly cool, then drizzle with the sauce as desired. Sprinkle with the chopped scallions and cilantro and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chinese, American
Keywords: bang bang sauce recipe, vegan bang bang cauliflower, bang bang cauliflower recipe,