for the pudding
- 1/3 cup small-pearl tapioca
- 3 cups almond milk
- 3 tsp Ener-G
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- pinch of salt
for the coconut cream
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 TB coconut oil
- 1 tsp agar powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- To make this, you’ll need to soak the tapioca beads in one cup of the almond milk as well as prepare the coconut cream the night before.
- To make the coconut cream, place the coconut milk and oil into a mixer and combine well over the highest setting, for about 4 minutes.
- To prepare the agar mixture, place it with the boiling water in a small pot over medium low heat, stirring frequently until the agar has completely dissolved. Add that to the mixture, along with the salt. Transfer to a plastic container to chill and gel overnight.
- To make the pudding, combine the soaked tapioca/almond milk mixture with the remaining pudding ingredients in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Immediately begin whisking the mixture as it heats, for about 15 minutes (a little more or a less time may be necessary). You’ll know that it’s ready once the tapioca becomes translucent and the mixture becomes really thick and frothy. Its really important to whisk briskly and constantly during this time, as it will yield an extremely fluffy pudding as well as prevent any sticking or scorching of the pudding.
- When it’s done, remove it from the heat to cool. Transfer the pudding to a plastic container to chill for about 3 hours.
- To serve, spoon some of the pudding in a glass or bowl, layered with some of the salted coconut cream.