This vegan split pea soup is perfect on a cold day. It uses only a few wholesome ingredients and is perfect with warm vegan biscuits. Top with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil to finish and dig in!
A nourishing soup for cold days!
I love making this soup when its cold outside, and I don’t have much time to cook. Packed with nutrients, lentils are cheap, and packed with fiber and a good source of plant-based protein. I usually buy them in the bulk section of my grocery store, but they can also be bought in small bags. Split lentils do not need to be soaked and cook much faster than dried beans. Once opened, store the lentils in an air-tight container.
You’ll need an immersion blender for quick prep. You can always puree half of the mixture and leave the other half chunky if you want some texture. Alternatively, you can also puree the entire soup if you want the final texture to be silky smooth.
You can also use a blender to puree. Just process in small batches and let it cool a bit before hitting puree.
This soup is:
- Quick and easy (can be made in 30 minutes)
- Made using simple and wholesome ingredients
- Packed with protein and fiber
- Very filling
- … very delicious!
Top it off or add more flavor
I love serving this split pea soup topped with a little toasted sesame oil, but it’s also delicious topped with a little cashew cream. If you’d like a little smokiness, add a few drops of liquid smoke as you are cooking the onions or top it off with some smoked paprika.
Hungry for more soup? Check these recipes out!Print
This vegan split pea soup is so simple, warm and comforting. There’s no need to soak split green lentils before using them. Just give them a quick rinse to wash away and debris. Serve with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil to finish!
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 7 cups homemade stock
- 1–2 TB toasted sesame oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and salt and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the split peas and stir well. Add in the stock, stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Test the doneness of the peas to ensure they are cooked through, but not mushy.
- Puree the soup right in the pot, using an immersion blender. If using a speed blender, let the soup cool to a lukewarm temperature before pureeing in small batches and reheating once ready to serve.
- Drizzle the toasted sesame over the soup once its been ladled into the bowls.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: vegan split pea soup, easy split pea soup