Last week, I watched The Food Network’s Melissa d’Arabian make a Spicy Butterscotch Pudding on her cooking show, Ten Dollar Dinners. Until I saw this, my opinion of butterscotch was meh, but turned into something I suddenly needed in my life, so I put on my vegan thinking cap and came up with this recipe. The end result was a beautiful golden-colored pudding, with an incredibly silky texture and a subtle scent of whisky. A modest sprinkle of coarse sea salt over the top upon serving transformed this pudding into a perfectly balanced fall dessert.Print
WHISKY BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING
- Yield: 2 servings
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance
- 3 tsp Ener-G
- 3 TB cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soymilk
- 1 cup soy creamer (I used So Delicious Coconut Creamer)
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 TB whisky
- coarse sea salt, for serving
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the Earth Balance over low heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine 1 cup of the soymilk with the cornstarch and Ener-G and whisk until there are no lumps left. Add the mixture to the saucepan with the melted Earth Balance and whisk until well combined. Increase the heat to medium-low.
- In the same medium-sized bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup soymilk, creamer and sugars. Whisk until there are no lumps left. Add that mixture to the saucepan and whisk frequently. Once it comes to a small boil, remove it from the heat.
- Add in the whisky and transfer the pudding to the refrigerator to chill. (It will thicken as it cools.)
- Serve with a sprinkle of the coarse sea salt.
Leila A. Fortier says
Oooops! I almost forgot to log this one in! I made it a week or so ago, as my husband is a big fan of scotch whiskey, so I thought I would make it as a simple desert. I LOVE the contrast of adding sea salt over the top! That was a genius move for flavorful dimension! I think I am going to try your whiskey candies sometime soon too…you know, as marriage collateral;)
So happy you liked, Leila! I don't really like drinking whisky, but I think it tastes so nice in desserts!
Are you serious with this?! I am SO ready to lick my computer screen right now…