This crispy vegan fish sandwich is made with hearts of palm and served with a homemade vegan tartar sauce. Bake it or air fry it … both give great results! This makes a hearty and delicious vegan seafood dish!
For the tartar sauce
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1/3 cup relish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium shallot, finely minced
For the hearts of palm
- 1, 14 oz. can whole hearts of palm, drained
- 4–5 index finger-sized pieces of nori
- 2 TB Ener-G, whisked with ½ cup water in a medium-sized bowl until frothy
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups panko, plus more if needed
- cooking spray
to serve (optional)
- hamburger buns
- 2–3 tablespoons vegan butter, for toasting the buns
- 1 cup mandolined cabbage (green or purple, or a mix)
- vegan American cheese slices
- ½ cup mandolined red onion, soaked in ice cold water for at least 20 minutes, then patted dry
- To make the tartar sauce, combine all ingredients and set aside.
- With a flat palm, gently press down on each hearts of palm until it pops and flattens. Slide a piece of nori inside the split and repeat with the rest of the hearts of palm.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic and onion powder, paprika and salt and pepper. Place the panko crumbs in a separate, medium-sized bowl.
- Press the hearts of palm into the cornmeal mixture, then into the Ener-G mixture, then back into the cornmeal mixture, back into the Ener-G mixture, then finish with coating evenly in the panko crumbs. (You could also probably try the VeganEgg here as well.) Give it another press with a flat palm to flatten again. Spray liberally all over with the cooking spray.
- Place into an air fryer set at 400. Air fry for 5 minutes, flip, coat again with cooking spray, and air fry the other side for 5 minutes more or until golden all over. Be sure to use plenty of cooking spray to allow it to crisp up and get a golden color and crunch.
- You can alternatively bake in a pre-heated, 425-degree oven. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, spray again, then bake for 7-10 minutes more, or until golden all over. Be sure to use plenty of cooking spray to allow it to crisp up and get a golden color and crunch.
- To toast the buns, melt half of the vegan butter in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Place the bottom buns into the pan until golden, and repeat the steps with the top buns.
- Assemble the sandwiches with desired toppings with the tartar sauce, or as fish sticks with the tartar sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Air Fried, Baked, Battered
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan fish, vegan seafood, vegan fish sandwich, hearts of palm