TO MAKE THE HEARTS OF PALM
- 14 ounces can of hearts of palm, drained then pressed flat with the palm of your hand (be gentle to keep them intact—but it’s okay if some break apart)
- 2 TB Ener-G, whisked with 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- plenty of canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- chopped cabbage
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- vegan sour cream, for serving
- fresh avocado slices
- fresh jalepeno, sliced
- chopped tomato
- lime wedges
- 4–6 tortillas, warmed
TO FRY THE HEARTS OF PALM
- Bring several inches of oil to 350 degrees. (I use a small cast iron pot, but you can use a small heavy stainless steel or dutch oven or a deep fryer.)
- While the oil is heating, set up 3 wide, shallow bowls in a row. In the first bowl, add the rice flour. In the second bowl, add the Ener-G mixture. In the third bowl, combine the cornstarch with the flour and onion and garlic powders.
- Once the oil is ready, place one of the hearts of palm into the rice flour and coat well. Tap off any extra, and toss it into the Ener-G mixture, then coat well in the cornstarch+flour mixture. You can fry 2-3 pieces of hearts of palm at a time.
- Fry for a few minutes, until slightly golden, then transfer to paper towels and immediately season with salt.
- Repeat with the remaining hearts of palm pieces.
- Serve immediately with the warmed tortillas and fillings as desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Vegan Seafood