This deep-fried jackfruit is made with an IPA and malt-vinegar beer batter. It’s super flavorful and crispy! This is made with jackfruit packed in brine to resemble the texture of white fish. Serve with slaw, dill-kissed mayo and fries for a vegan seafood feast! Inspired by Chef Adam Evans’s Fish and Chips with Malt Vinegar Mayo recipe.
for the garlicky-dill mayo
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 4 tsp coconut vinegar (apple cider vinegar or lemon juice would work too)
- 1 TB chopped fresh dill
- 2–3 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane grater
- few pinches of salt
for the jackfruit
- 2, 20-oz. cans of jackfruit, packed in brine
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp Old Bay
for the batter
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 oz. beer (lager or IPA)
- 1/2 cup fizzy water
- 1 TB malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely ground corn flour, combined with 1 tsp each of Old Bay and dried dill
- canola or grapeseed oil, for frying
to garnish and serve
- fries or slaw
- extra malt vinegar
- lemon wedges
- chopped fresh dill/parsley
- chopped green onion
- flaky salt
to prepare the garlicky-dill mayo
- Combine all ingredients. Adjust to taste if needed, then comfort and refrigerate until ready to serve.
to prepare the jackfruit
- Drain the jackfruit, removing any seeds.
- Add the bouillon and Old Bay to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once dissolved, add the jackfruit to the pan. Allow to return to a small boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Allow to cool, then transfer to a baking sheet in a single layer. Place into the freezer for a few hours.
- Remove the jackfruit from the freezer and allow to defrost on the sheet. Once defrosted and at room temp, place the jackfruit, single layer, in between towels (I used a large bath towel). Press down with your hands to allow most of the moisture out. The jackfruit doesn’t need to be bone dry.
to prepare the batter
- Combine the AP flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and pepper into a medium-sized bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the beer, fizzy water and malt vinegar.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and combine, taking care not to overmix.
to fry the jackfruit
- Place several inches into a medium-sized cast-iron pot. Heat over medium-high heat for several minutes. Test the oil’s readiness by inserting a chopstick into the oil so it touches the bottom of the pan. If bubbles form around the chopstick immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Working in small batches, dredge the jackfruit into the seasoned corn flour mix, then transfer to the batter.
- Make sure each piece is covered evenly in the batter, then carefully transfer to the oil, taking care not to overcrowd the pot.
- Once golden brown all over, transfer the jackfruit to a large plate lined with paper towels and repeat the process with the remaining jackfruit.
- Serve immediately with fries, slaw, lemon wedges, mayo, malt vinegar and chopped fresh herbs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Boiled, Simmered, Battered, Deep Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan seafood, jackfruit, deep-fried jackfruit, vegan fried fish