- 1/2 cup farro, crushed in a coffee grinder
- 3/4 cup shiitake powder (crush about 2 large dried shiitake mushrooms in a coffee grinder)
- 3 cups water
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 2 TB refined coconut oil
- 1 TB vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TB liquid smoke
- 1 TB sesame oil
- 1 TB fennel seeds
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten, plus more if needed
- cooking spray
- Place the crushed farro and shiitake powder into a medium-sized saucepan, then whisk in the water. Boil for about 15 minutes, uncovered. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the next 10 ingredients and allow to cool. Add in the vital wheat gluten and stir. You want the mixture to be soft, but just firm enough to be able to be formed into sausages. Add up to 1/2 – 3/4 more of the VWG, 1/4 cup at a time as needed, to achieve this result. No need to work or knead the dough.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions, then roll into 6-inch long sausages.
- Spray 4, 8X8 inches pieces of tin foil with a little cooking spray. Place a sausage onto each piece, then roll up, twisting the edges to form a seal.
- Place a steamer basket over a large pot with water and place the wrapped sausages inside. You want to fill the pot with just enough water that it doesn’t make contact with the bottom of the steamer basket.
- Place the sausages inside and cover. Bring the water to a boil, then steam for one hour. You will need to keep an eye on the water level, replenishing the water as needed as it evaporates.
- Let the sausages cool completely in the tin foil. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 80 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Boiled, Steamed
- Cuisine: German, American
Keywords: farro sausage, vegan sausage