If you love spicy food, this fire noodles with crispy tofu is for you! A creamy, savory and spicy sauce is tossed over noodles and served with a panko-crusted tofu. This is perfect served with grilled vegetables, crushed peanuts and chopped scallions.
for the sauce
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 1 TB minced ginger
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sambal (use a little more or less to taste)
- 1–3 thai chili peppers, sliced or left whole, dried or a mix of the two (optional, obvs)
- 2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
for the tofu
- 1 block tofu, cut into 8 slabs (no need to press)
- 1 cup panko
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, white and/or black
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup water
- oil, for sauteing
- 2 servings of noodles, any kind
- broccoli or your vegetable of choice, sauteed
- crushed peanuts
- sliced scallions
to make the sauce
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add in the minced ginger and allow to fry for about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, then add in the brown sugar and stir to coat. Add in the rice vinegar, stir, then add in the peanut butter and stir until liquefied.
- Add in the sambal and thai chilis (if using), stir, then pour in the coconut milk. Bring to a small simmer, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat and cover.
to make the tofu
- Combine the panko and sesame seeds in one bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the white rice flour and water until smooth.
- Preheat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add a thin layer of oil to the bottom.
- Dredge the tofu in the rice flour/water mixture, then press into the panko/sesame seed mixture until evenly coated.
- Place into the hot pan and allow each side to become golden brown, a few minutes on each side. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Boil the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain, then toss them with the sauce.
- Transfer to serving bowls, topping with the vegetables, tofu, crushed peanuts and sliced scallions. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Dredged, Sautéed, Boiled
- Cuisine: Asian, American
Keywords: spicy noodles, crispy tofu, panko tofu, sambal noodles