This ginger scallion ramen noodles is an easy weeknight dish! Serve as is or add vegan chicken, tofu cubes, mushrooms or vegetables. Inspired by Bon Appétit’s Ginger Scallion Ramen Noodles.
for the vegan chicken
- 1 cup Butler Soy Curls
- 1 TB no-chicken or boullion (I used Better Than Boullion brand)
- 2 TB neutral oil, divided (vegetable, canola or grapeseed)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
for the sauce + noodles
- 2 TB Miyoko’s Cultured Vegan Butter (or any vegan butter, but Miyoko’s is really good here)
- 1 TB grated ginger
- 3 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 TB grated garlic
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 1 TB + 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 packet of ramen noodles
- sesame seeds
- lime wedges
- extra chopped scallions
- thai chilis, sambal sliced or red pepper flakes
to prepare the vegan chicken
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Fill a small saucepan halfway with water. Bring to a boil. Whisk in the boullion.
- Add in the soy curls, stir.
- Turn off the heat, place a lid over the top and allow to sit for about 10 minutes on the burner.
- Drain the soy curls and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. (I do this by draining in a sieve and placing another on top and squeeze really hard.)
- Transfer the soy curls to a medium-sized glass pyrex. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil over the top, and stir to combine.
- Season with the garlic powder, then stir again to combine.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through the bake time.
- Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Stir again.
- Allow to bake for 10-15 minutes more, stirring halfway through and keeping and eye on them. They are done when golden all over.
to prepare the sauce
- Preheat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the butter. Once it starts to sizzle, add in the ginger and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add in the shallots, allowing to soften for about 3 minutes while stirring.
- Add in the garlic and scallions. Stir and allow to soften for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the brown sugar and soy sauce. Stir for about 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat.
- Boil the ramen noodles according to package directions, subtracting one minute from the cook time.
- Once the noodles are done, drain and return them to the pan.
- Transfer the sauce to the noodles and toss to coat.
- Add the vegan chicken and transfer to serving bowls.
- Serve with sesame seeds, lime wedges, chopped scallions and sambal, chili flakes or sliced thai chilis.
The vegan chicken can be made beforehand. When ready to serve, they can be crisped up in a preheated cast iron pan.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Sautéed, Boiled
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: ginger scallion noodle, ginger scallion noodles