* Recipe adapted from the April 2016 issue of Food & Wine magazine.
FOR THE VEGAN SCALLOPS
- 2 large king oyster mushroom stems, sliced into scallop-sized slices and soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- 1 TB olive oil
FOR THE SEAWEED-MATCHA BUTTER
- 1/2 cup cultured vegan butter (allow to come to room temperature)
- 1 TB ground ochazuke wakame seasoning (I used a coffee grinder)
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 4 –6 ounces spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons black and white sesame seeds
TO MAKE THE VEGAN SCALLOPS
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Score one side of the scallops and place into the pan, scored side up. Allow to develop a golden color around the edges, then flip and continue to allow a golden color to develop on the scored side.
TO MAKE THE SEAWEED-MATCHA BUTTER
- Combine the softened vegan cultured butter with the ochazuke wakame seasoning and matcha powder.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain well.
- Toss the pasta with the seaweed butter (start with half and add more in as desired) and divide into bowls. Top with the vegan scallops and sesame seeds. Allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Vegan Seafood