This easy focaccia pizza is delicious and will fill your kitchen with an amazing aroma! Top with whatever you like, this pizza will be delicious with your favorite toppings!
for the dough
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2 cups AP flour, plus extra for dusting
- olive oil
for the balsamic glaze
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
for the toppings
- some olive oil, for brushing the top and sides of the dough
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- one green apple, mandolined
- 1/2 small red onion, mandolined
- a couple handfuls of vegan cheese shreds (Daiya Mozz or Follow your Heart Parmesan are great choices)
- 10 oil-cured olives, de-pitted and chopped
- a handful of chopped walnuts, toasted for a few minutes in a hot cast iron pan
- one teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
to prepare the dough
- Combine the yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Add warm water, give it a little stir and set aside for 10-15 minutes until foamy.
- Place the flour into a large bowl. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour, scraping all of the yeast mixture out of the small bowl.
- Combine with a strong spatula until all of the flour is absorbed, adding in water one tablespoon at a time if needed. You want it to just hold together without being too sticky.
- Dust your countertop with some of the flour and knead the dough for a minute or two. Form into a ball.
- Oil a clean glass bowl, and place the dough into it. Oil the top and cover the bowl with a damp towel.
- To allow it to rise, either place it on your countertop until doubled in size, 45 minutes to an hour, place into a steamy spot until doubled in size or even on top of your radiator, provided it’s not super hot.
- Deflate the dough on a floured surface. Knead for a minute or two, then shape as desired. Place onto a baking sheet.
for the balsamic glaze
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a small simmer over medium heat until it reduces by half, then set aside to cool. It will thicken as its cools.
to top and bake
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- Brush the top of the dough with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt.
- Poke the top all over with your fingertips to make little indents.
- Top evenly with the apples, followed by the red onion, vegan cheese and olives. Brush the exposed edges with a little more olive oil.
- Place into the oven to bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges start to look golden.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the walnuts and thyme, then place into the oven to bake for an additional 2-3 minutes more.
- To serve, drizzle with the desired amount of balsamic glaze, and slice as desired, and serve immediately.
This focaccia is perfect fresh and kind of meh reheated, so it’s best to make when you are sure you can eat the whole thing.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Dough Rising Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Kneaded, Baked, Reduced
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan pizza, focaccia pizza, homemade pizza dough