These vegan roasted cauliflower steaks are delicious as a holiday main, and perfectly portable if you are traveling. They can be made the night before and crisped up right before holiday dinner begins. An absolutely delicious oyster mushroom gravy pulls everything together!
for the cauliflower steaks
- 2, 1 1/2-inch thick slices of cauliflower (how-to below)
- 1 TB, plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp rubbed sage
- salt and pepper
for the oyster mushroom gravy
- 1–2 tsp Earth Balance
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped oyster mushrooms (cut away tough stems and freeze and reserve for making stock later)
- 2 TB dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 TB cornstarch or arrowroot powder, blended with 2 TB cold water
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- To cut your cauliflower steaks, place a head of cauliflower stem side down on a cutting board. Using a large knife, slice it down the very middle. Then cut down again on each half to create two, 1 1/2-inch thick slabs.
- Grease a cast iron pan with 1 TB of olive oil. Place the steaks onto the pan, and drizzle over the remaining 1 tsp of olive oil over the tops of the steaks. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of the sage over the top of each steak, rubbing it into the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place into the oven to roast on one side for 25-30 minutes, keeping an eye on it after 20 minutes, ensuring that it does not burn on the bottom.
- After the steaks are nicely roasted on the bottom, carefully flip them over, then rub the remaining rubbed sage over the top. Return to the oven to roast for an additional 25-30 minutes, keeping an eye on them to prevent burning after 20 minutes.*
- While your cauliflower is roasting, make your gravy.
- Melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add in the sliced shallots and sprinkle with the salt. Saute until softened, about 3 minutes, then add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Increase the heat to medium, then add the chopped oyster mushrooms. After 2 minutes, increase the heat to medium high and saute for 1 minute more. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Add in the broth, bring to a small simmer, then reduce the heat back down to medium. Allow to reduce for 15-20 minutes.**
- *Serve the steaks immediately with the gravy. Or, if you are serving it later, just recrisp the chilled cauliflower steaks on a stovetop in a hot cast iron pan on both sides with a little oil until heated through.
- **If you are serving the gravy immediately, add in half of the cornstarch/water slurry to the gravy and stir until thickened, adding more as needed. If you are serving the steaks later, wait to add the cornstarch or arrowroot/water slurry until you are reheating the gravy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted cauliflower steaks, cauliflower steaks roasted, vegan main, vegan side