This creamy roasted parsnip soup is so comforting on colder nights. Parsnips, cauliflower and garlic are roasted then blended with cashews to make a flavorful, rich and creamy soup. Serve with crusty bread for a hearty dinner.
for the soup
- 1 head garlic, top lopped off to expose garlic
- 4 TB olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups chopped parsnips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for several hours then drained
- 6 cups vegetable or No-Chicken broth, divided
for the topping
- 2 TB vegan butter
- 1 onion, halved and sliced into thin, half moon pieces
- several sprigs of fresh thyme
- a few pinches of salt
- 1 package vegan bacon or sausage (tempeh, Field Roast, Sweet Earth, etc.)
- 2 TB fresh parsley, chopped
to prepare the soup
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil, twisting the top to create a seal. Drizzle the top generously with some olive oil and place into the oven to roast for about an hour.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with some of the olive oil. Arrange the cauliflower florets and parsnips on the sheet, drizzling with more olive oil to coat, and adding a few pinches of salt. Place into the oven to roast with the garlic for about 30 minutes, removing once or twice to stir around to ensure even cooking.
- Once the garlic and vegetables are done roasting, allow to cool. Remove the garlic from the skin, saving any leftover oil. Transfer vegetables and garlic to a hi-speed blender, along with the soaked cashews and broth.
- Working in batches of two if needed, start blending on low, then slowly increase the speed until the mixture is smooth. Add more broth to thin the soup out as desired.
to prepare the topping
- Melt the vegan butter in a large cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the onion slices, thyme and salt and arrange in an even layer. Allow to soften, reduce and deeply caramelize for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so to promote even cooking. They are done when crispy and dark.
- Prepare the vegan bacon or sausage according to package instructions.
- Warm the soup as desired before ladling into bowls. Top with the caramelized onions, vegan sausage or bacon and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hours
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Roasted, Blended, Caramelized, Simmered
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: roasted parsnip soup, parsnip soup, vegan parsnip soup, parsnip soup recipe