Shiitake bacon is a great vegan bacon option. This vegan shiitake mushroom recipe is made with thinly sliced shiitakes which are marinated in a blend of olive oil, liquid smoke and salt. They are rich in umami flavor, with the perfect amount of smoke. Crispy around the edges and meaty towards the center, these are perfect for piling onto sandwiches, adding to tofu scrambles or tossing into roasted vegetables.
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 cups shiitake mushroom caps, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 350. Place a silpat over a baking sheet, set aside.
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the sliced shiitake into a shallow glass pyrex or bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the sliced shiitake, and stir gently to combine. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes to an hour.
- Place the shiitake in a single layer onto the silpat. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for an additional 15 minutes*. Increase the heat to 375, then bake for 10 minutes more. Flip, then finish for 10 more minutes. Keep an eye on them towards the end to ensure they do not burn.
- Remove from the oven and place on paper towels to drain. As they drain, the edges will become crispy. Serve immediately.
*Baking times will differ based on the thickness and type of shiitake you are using. After baking for 15-20 minutes, just keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Snack
- Method: Marinated, Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shiitake mushroom bacon, shiitake bacon recipe, shiitake mushroom bacon recipe, vegan shiitake mushroom recipe, shiitake mushroom marinade